Sunday, February 24, 2013

Quinoa Banana Muffins

So in my quest to take better care of myself, to lose weight and just start treating my body like it's meant to be treated, I've been eating a nutritionist specified diet.  In it she states that I need to avoid all dairy and soy products, I'm also to avoid pork (bye-bye bacon for the moment) and anything that's processed (see ya Mickey-Ds and all kinds of tasty but icky stuff).
One of the biggest struggles was containing my grain intake.  I'm "allowed" just one serving of grains a day.  I was missing bread, pancakes, muffins and other tasty treats like that.  And then I discovered that quinoa isn't a grain... it's a SEED!!  And I'm allowed those (a couple of servings a day).  So I bought some quinoa flour (I also picked up some chickpea flour because thats a legume... yah!).  Problem was, I didn't know what to do with it besides the yummy pancakes I had made (but I'm pretty sure that eating pancakes all the time wasn't going to be good for me).
Today I woke up inspired.  I decided I was going to play scientist in the kitchen and make muffins.... That's right, I took a risk and developed my own recipe:

1 cup quinoa flour
1 ripe, mashed banana of medium size
10 fresh raspberries (optional)
1 tsp of baking soda
1tsp of baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium sized eggs
1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil
1 tbsp of Hershey's Special Dark Mini-Chips

Combine all the ingredients and plop them into mini cupcake tins (it made 26 mini-muffins for me... each muffin is about 39 calories - you may be able to find the recipe on MyFitnessPal.com - I entered it there too, so all the nutritional information could be located) and bake at 350 or so (I use a toaster oven here in Singapore so the temperature might not be exact...) and bake until they are golden brown on top or about 10-15 minutes.


They were delicious...

Happy Eating!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete